03 May 2011

indifference

Osama bin Laden died, right after the future King of English weds his future Queen, right after the Big Brothers find themselves in a humiliatingly ugly mess in Libya,  right after a Tsunami changed the fate of millions of lives in the Land of the Rising Sun, right after the world paused to contemplate if Julian Assange is a hero or villain...

I often step back and watch as the world gets on with her life like a mad lunatic. One minute she's drunk at a wedding of someone she barely knows, the next minute she's fighting a war and the next minute she's crying over the lives lost in a natural catastrophe... And while she goes through all the tirade, flailing her arms at one point, I stare at her with a blank face, not being able to keep up most of the time.

I want to share her pain, but i can't, when I have my own knots to untie. I want to reach out to the people in Japan, to give them a loaf of bread, but i hesitate when there's hungry people in my own backyard. And i can't help but feel like we are slowly being trapped by a fear bubble, driven by the media, with its horrifying images and captions like terrorism, crisis, tragedy, catastrophe...

I am  not indifferent, I am not selfish. I am just a bit overwhelmed.


***


This, on the other hand is quite funny. I would've summoned my private jet to fly me out of that place if I were Trump. Like,lift me up straight from where I was sitting. You've got to salute the President for slapping his potential competitor (and a big-mouthed, shallow one too) down like that.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your turn to doodle!